dreamofadiemus

Should I have been charged 39.99 2 times when I only filed for federal and state taxes and why would I be charged for state taxes at all since I am getting $0 back?

Yes.  
Deluxe is 39.99
State is also a separate 39.99 in all versions above the Free Edition
If you select to have the fees deducted from your refund there is an EXTRA 39.99 Refund Processing Service charge (44.99 for California)

So you could have 2 charges of 39.99 for 79.98 (or 84.98 for Calif)
Or you could have 3 charges of 39.99 for 119.97 (124.97 Calif)
CarissaM

With Turbo Tax Deluxe there is a fee for your federal return,as well as a fee for your state return. 

The fee is to prepare your return using Turbo Tax software, regardless if you are receiving a refund or net. 

To view the fees associated with your refund, please follow the instructions below.