Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I file jointly even if my husband is on disability and does not have earned income?

My husband is not required to file taxes on SSI and does not have an earned income.  Should I file separately or jointly?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Should I file jointly even if my husband is on disability and does not have earned income?

yes. if married on 12/31/2020, you can file jointly even if your spouse has no income to report. in your situation the taxes MFS would be higher than those filing on a joint return.  

Does he get Social Security or SSDI or ssi?  ssi is not the same as social security.   Did he get a SSA-1099 for it?  Joint should be the best way to file.  You have to enter his SSA-1099.   If you file separately he would still have to file his own return and report the SSA-1099.  Even with no other income it might be taxable.  

Enter a SSA-1099, SSA-1099-SM or RRB-1099 under

Federal Taxes on the left side or top

Wages and Income

Then scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security

Then the second line - Social Security (SSA-1099. RRB-1099) - click the Start or Revisit button

Up to 85% of Social Security becomes taxable when all your other income plus 1/2 your social security, reaches:

Married Filing Jointly: $32,000

Single or head of household: $25,000

Married Filing Separately: 0

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies