Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

erika-74

Should i file as head of household if im not working?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

What income do you have?  Are you married? Do you have a child?
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894553-do-i-qualify-for-head-of-household">https://ttlc.intuit.co...>

Working really has nothing to do with it. 

You can file head of household if you are considered unmarried, pay more than half the cost of keeping the home you live in, and provide care in that home for at least one other qualifying person, usually a child dependent. (You are considered unmarried if you are single, or if you have been separated from your spouse for all of the last 6 months of the tax year or more.)

Usually, HOH is intended for single parents, parents with children who are going through a marital separation, and sometimes parents  whose spouse is incarcerated or deployed overseas.

If you file a tax return, and meet the 3 tests, you can file head of household instead of filing single or married filing separately.

However, the fact that you are not working suggests you might not meet test #2 (pay more than half the cost of maintaining your home).  And even if you do (such as from savings, or investments or a pension or social security) there are no special benefits or credits if you have little or no income.  Filing HOH just means a bit lower tax rate and a little bit more of a standard deduction.  Most of the credits that can pay you more money than you owe in taxes, require that you have income earned from working.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies