Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

earpr

Should I file a paper return to include nursing home accounting for large expense plus explanations or just let the IRS ask?

Medical expense for wife with Alzheimer's came to $53,000 or so including memory care facilities, extra nursing care and some home health expense all with licensed companies that deal with mental health patients.  This may require detailed expense statements which I am willing to provide, but the question is should I file a paper return with major expense details and explanations or file electronically and just let the IRS ask about it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
pk
Level 15
Level 15

Should I file a paper return to include nursing home accounting for large expense plus explanations or just let the IRS ask?

I would suggest ( based on experience with a client of mine for a number of years ), you just fill out the forms, and the worksheets and e-file. If the IRS wants details, they will come back so, keep your records for three years and make sure that all the claimed expenses  are medically approved/necessary.  Good Luck

View solution in original post

1 Reply
pk
Level 15
Level 15

I would suggest ( based on experience with a client of mine for a number of years ), you just fill out the forms, and the worksheets and e-file. If the IRS wants details, they will come back so, keep your records for three years and make sure that all the claimed expenses  are medically approved/necessary.  Good Luck

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies