Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nimmesis

Should i file a form with no income earned for child tax credit or should I use my W2 that only amount to $26 back

I’m a single mother of a 6yr old. Last year when I was married he worked and I only have 1 w2 with $26 that I’ll get in a return. Should I file for Child Tax Credit without my W2 and do the form for No Income Earned?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Should i file a form with no income earned for child tax credit or should I use my W2 that only amount to $26 back

The child tax credit rules for 2021 tax returns were unique to tax year 2021; you could receive the CTC even if you did not have any income earned from working. And a child could be 17 (under 18).

That will not be the case for tax year 2022 & 2023.   The rules revert back to the requirement to have income earned from working in order to receive the refundable part of the CTC.  If you do not have at least $2500 of income from working you will not get the CTC or the additional child tax credit. And the age cutoff went back to under 17 (not 18).

And...without income earned from working you are not eligible for any other child-related credits like earned income credit or the childcare credit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies