Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I claim my son on my taxes? he's 18, lives with us and made under $1000

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Melaine

Should I claim my son on my taxes? he's 18, lives with us and made under $1000

It depends.  Regardless of how much they make, as long as they are your dependent, under the age of 19, and did not provide for more than 50% of their support then you still qualify to claim them on your return.   Remember, if in college, whether you can claim them or not is based on their relationship and ability to support themselves, not on you providing more than half of their support.  If they provided for more than 50% of their own support, then you would not qualify.  Do not include grant, scholarships and student loan to determine if they provided more than half their support.  If he is not in college to learn more about claiming dependents on your return please read the article; Rules For Claiming A Dependent On Your Tax Return. Also, if he is in college please review the rules in IRS Publication 970, tax benefits for education. 

Summarized, it states that;

If the student and they qualify as your dependent;

Is under the age of 24 on Dec 31 of the tax year and:

Is enrolled in an undergraduate program at an accredited institution and:

Is enrolled as at least a half time student for one academic semester that begins during the tax year, (each institution has their own definition of a half time student) and: the STUDENT did NOT provide more that 50% of the STUDENT’S support (scholarships/grants received by the student do not count as the student providing their own support)

Then:

You can claim the student as a dependent on the parent's tax return and:

You will claim all scholarships, grants, tuition payments, and the student's 1098-T on the parent's tax return and:

You will claim all educational tax credits that qualify.

If claiming the student as a dependent, the student can still file their own tax return to try and receive the taxes they paid for that year.  Whenever they are completing their taxes, the student must select the option that states; 'I can be claimed on someone else's return' (see screen shot from Turbo Tax online).  Remember, however, that who claims the student as a dependent will be the one who claim qualified education expenses for education or credit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies