turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pattycake8989
Returning Member

Should I amend my 2019 return or do it on my 2020 return

I closed my direct sales business in 2019 but I wasn't aware that my EOY inventory needed to be at 0. So my Schedule C from 2019 shows an ending inventory. Do I need to amend my 2019 return or carry it forward as BOY inventory on my 2020 return and make sure 2020's end of year inventory is at 0 by transferring it all for personal use? How will this affect my refund...will I have to pay taxes on the inventory that I transfer for personal use?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

You can do either. The main reason to answer the question is to answer the follow-up question.

If you’re self-employed and simply stopped doing this type of work, answer Yes here.

You'd also answer Yes if you own a business and you did one of these things:

• Closed the business
  • Sold the business
  • Lost the business in a fire or other disaster
  • Retired from this business

pattycake8989
Returning Member

I closed the business due to not enough business to make a profit. I did not sell the business.

pattycake8989
Returning Member

I didn't sell the business, I closed it. I suffered a loss three years in a row so I wasn't generating enough income to sustain the business. If I cancel out the inventory for personal use on my 2020 taxes, will I have to list expenses and costs as though I was still in business? I am worried about doing that since it will show a loss for a 4th year in a row. Or should I amend my 2019 return to cancel out the inventory for personal use. Will that affect my tax refund I received for 2019? If you recommend amending 2019 return, can I do it through my 2019 Turbotax software or do I need to do it manually?

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Don't worry about a 4th loss. The rule that the IRS expects a profit in three out of every five years, is that they don't want people to create a business to have a continual loss and reduce other taxable income. You are closing your business which shows that that is not your intention.

If you feel better amending 2019, then do that.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies