DebbieB2

Should a regular employee receive a 1099-Misc for a year end safety bonus or longevity bonus for time spent as an employee?

I am not self employed or acting as a contractor.  I am a company truck driver, driving a company owned truck, not my truck, not my company.  At the end of the year I was paid a "Safety/Longevity Bonus" because I had no accidents or damage to any equipment.  The amount paid was entered in box 3 "other income" of the 1099-Misc.

IreneS

It's common that employers issue a 1099-MISC for awards.  This way no employment taxes are withheld.

You can enter the 1099-MISC in TurboTax as "Other Common Income,"  which is reported on line 21 of the 1040 and  will not generate SE tax.  Please use the following steps:

1. Click on Federal Taxes > Wages & Income. [In TT Self-Employed:  Personal > Personal Income > I'll choose what I work on.]
  2. Scroll down to the Other Common Income section. 
  3. Click on the Start/Revisit box next Form 1099-MISC.  [See Screenshot #1, below.]
  4. On the screen Did you get a 1099-MISC?  click on the Yes button. [Screenshot #2]
  5. On the next screen, Let's get the info from your 1099-MISC, enter the information from the 1099-MISC.
    [Screenshot #3]
  6. On the following screens, answer the following questions:
    • Did it involve work that's like your main job? No.
    • You got it in 2016
    • No, it didn't involve an intent to earn money

7.  Continue through the rest of the interview screens. The income will appear on line 21 of form 1040 (Other Income).