Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CP01
Level 2

Senior federal tax return

My mom is a senior she has a W-2 for $ 60K and SSA $20K these are only income. Her withholding is zero NS she is filing married filing separately and going to pay $1600 for federal does this amount seem right? I thought they increased the tax bracket. Please advice. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

She didn't have any withholding on the W2 box 2?  If she had no withholding at all I get her tax  is between 5,135 and 7,325 for MFS over 65.  Check her return.  What lines look wrong?  

Are you using the Online version?  Before filing,  You can preview the 1040 or print the whole return

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-f...

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

The 2023 tax brackets appear below and are available, along with other tools, here

The standard deduction for Married Filing Separately is $13,850 and the additional amount for over 65 is $1,500. Part of the Social Security becomes taxable as other income increases. If you earn between $25,000 and $34,000 per year as a single filer (or $32,000 to $44,000 if you’re married filing jointly), you will pay income taxes on up to 50% of your Social Security benefits. If you earn more than $34,000 (or $44,000 if you’re married filing jointly), you’ll pay taxes on up to 85% of your benefits. You will never be taxed on more than 85% of your Social Security benefits.

See here for more information. 

Please avoid using any actual personal dollar amounts or other personally identifying information here, as this is a public forum.

@CP01

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
CP01
Level 2

Thanks for responding. 

Her Fed withhold about $7000, SS withholding $4000 and Medicare withholding $1000.  The payment seems high for a senior am I missing something. 

CP01
Level 2

Thanks for responding. 

That seems crazy for seniors to be taxed so much when they can't live on SS alone so they have to work to pay more tax doesn't seem like a good system.  That's a lot to pay just double checking I'm not missing anything. 

Oh you first said  there wasn't any withholding.  So she had 7,000 federal withholding on the W2?  You don't count the SS tax in box 4 or Medicare in box 6.  Any withholding on the SSA-1099. Box 6?  

So she owes another 1600 on federal?  7,000+1,600=8,600.  That sounds about right.  The tax table shows 8,876 on taxable income of 61,650.  Which is 60,000 + 1,7000 (20,000x85%) minus the Standard Deduction 13,850+1,500.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040tt.pdf  

CP01
Level 2

I meant zero withholding in w-4. Thanks for checking I appreciate it. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies