Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

skipperll

Send cover letter with tax return or, not?

As POA, I will be mailing a "paper" tax return along with a 2848 Form, a copy of the POA and a check for the amount owed for my 94 year old mother who is in an Assisted Living Care Facility suffering from Demetia, Depression, etc.  Should I also send a cover letter briefly explaining my mother's condition and her inability to manage her legal and financial affairs, which is what leads me to be filing for her or, just send in the return, 2848, POA and a check with no cover letter?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RichardG

The cover letter isn't necessary as long as you have a signed power of attorney form.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RichardG

The cover letter isn't necessary as long as you have a signed power of attorney form.
skipperll

Richard, as you've helped me before, I appreciate you're doing so again. Yes, I have a signed, notarized, Durable POA, which, along with everything else, specifies that I do have the authority to handle all her financial, legal and tax issues, i.e. filing, collecting refunds, etc. so I won't send a cover letter. Just thought it may help with the IRS understanding why I'm filing for her.
Thanks.
RichardG

You're assuming IRS employees can read.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies