Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Self employed tax question

my wife works remotely for a university in a different state than we reside. 100% work from home. They do not provide health care or other benefits (401k, etc) as part of her consulting. We received a W-2 for this income. I would like to claim this as a self-employed business with expenses, but not sure I can since we received a W-2 from the university. How should I account for home business expenses related to this transaction?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

If she received a Form W-2, you can't reclassify it as self-employment income. Any business expenses would go on Form 2106 Employee Business Expenses. It flows to Schedule A Itemized Deductions.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
RebeccaC

Since your wife received a W-2 you would need to input that information, and you were wondering how to enter home office expenses??

yes, how to claim home office expenses. In prior years I've had minor employment related expenses to claim, but was not self-employed. This year, being 100% work from home, with no benefits, I assume it is better to claim this as a self employed business, and not simply as an employment related expense.
RebeccaC

You can follow the steps below to enter your home office expenses.
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

If she received a Form W-2, you can't reclassify it as self-employment income. Any business expenses would go on Form 2106 Employee Business Expenses. It flows to Schedule A Itemized Deductions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies