Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Self Employed online software states that I have 1 dependent that qualifies me for the $500 Other Dependent Credit, but the $500 does not show up in my refund. Why?

The Child Tax Credit section has link that asks "Who counts for the Credit for Other Dependents?"  The answer it provides is "You have 1 dependent that qualifies..." however the $500 was not added to the refund or the summary.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Self Employed online software states that I have 1 dependent that qualifies me for the $500 Other Dependent Credit, but the $500 does not show up in my refund. Why?

@taxpayingindivid - what is on Line 22 of form 1040? 

that $500 credit should appear on Line 19 of Form 1040 and is what is called a 'Non-refundable credit' - it can reduce Line 22 but can't take Line 22 below zero...is that the issue? 

Yes! Thank you so much for replying!

That turned out to be the issue.  The software does not give users access to the actual forms until after they have paid.  Since, I did not want to pay for software that might have issue that would result in the loss of $500 I did not have access to the answer.

My recommendation to Turbotax is that they add a link to each nonrefundable tax credit page that identifies those credits as nonrefundable and explains what that means to the uninitiated.

Thank you again for time to help me!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies