williamstewartst

Self-Employed handy man with no employees; do I need to file a 1099-Misc form?

JohnW152

From what you're saying, most likely not.  

Generally, you'll need to file a Form 1099-MISC if you pay an unincorporated independent contractor $600 or more in a year for work that they've done for your trade or business, by either cash or direct deposit.

You don't have to file a Form 1099-MISC for non-business type payments, such as those made for personal or household services -- housekeeping, babysitting and gardening, to name just a few services. 

For more information, please see the IRS' Am I Required to File a Form 1099 or Other Information Return? page. 

williamstewartst

Your reversed the question! I am paid as a sole proprietor of a handy man service. Do I need to file a 1099 MISC form for payments received?

No.  And this year it would be a new form 1099NEC.  

Just enter it as Other self employment income or as Cash or General income.  You don't need to get a 1099NEC or 1099K.  Even if you did you can enter all your income as Cash.  Only the total goes to schedule C.

You can enter Self Employment Income into Online Deluxe or Premier but if you have any expenses you will have to upgrade to the Self Employed version.  Or use any of the Desktop CD/Download programs.

How to enter income from Self Employment

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/self-employed/help/how-do-i-report-income-from-self-employment/00/...

KrisD15

No, you only need to claim the 1099 Forms you receive. You report them as Self-Employment income on your tax return. 

If YOU pay anyone $600 or more in a tax year, THEN you would issue a 1099 to them. 

But you still need to report all your income, whether or not you get a 1099 form.