Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

XSevenSonata
Returning Member

Seeking assistance with amend

I searched through the discussions and couldn't find my answer(s), but, if someone happens to come across what I'm looking for, feel free to direct me.

This is my first time attempting to file. I don't have any local assistance, so, I turned to forms for advance support. I was under the impression that I could submit multiple W-2's, but, only during one e-file. I wasn't  aware of the year difference, though. I submitted a 2018 and 2019 W-2 within the same e-file. My expenses are simple and the only forms I have to submit are W-2's. I'm looking for the correct way to amend the e-file and re submit both W-2's (separate) and so far all that I could discover is that amended W-2's cannot be e-file again.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

You will need to delete the 2018 W-2 that you entered when amending the 2019 tax return.

An amended tax return, Form 1040X, can only be printed, signed, dated and mailed by you to the IRS, it cannot be e-filed. The IRS will take up to 4 months to process the amended tax return. Wait until you have received the tax refund or the taxes owed have been paid and processed by the IRS before amending the tax return.

To access your online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show. Click on the Year and Click on Amend (change) return

See this TurvrboTax support FAQ for amending a 2019 tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-do-i-amend-a-2019-return-in-turbotax/01/123845...

The 2018 W-2 can only be entered on a 2018 tax return.

To complete and file a 2018 tax return using TurboTax you would need to purchase, download and install on a personal computer one of the 2018 desktop editions from this website - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

A 2018 tax return can only be printed and mailed, it cannot be e-filed.

XSevenSonata
Returning Member

Should the W-2 2018 be mailed along with the W-2 2019, 1040 (2019) and 1040X (2019) just as a supporting document to help with any confusion as to why I choose to amend? Not to file both together, but, just to help with the amend? I know 2018 W-2 still has to be mailed separately once completed. 

@XSevenSonata wrote:

Should the W-2 2018 be mailed along with the W-2 2019, 1040 (2019) and 1040X (2019) just as a supporting document to help with any confusion as to why I choose to amend? Not to file both together, but, just to help with the amend? I know 2018 W-2 still has to be mailed separately once completed. 

No, do not include a copy of the 2018 W-2 with the amended 2019 tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies