turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Zelennn
Returning Member

Screen sharing screen (online version) with turbotax agent

Hello,

I could not find the answer to the following question online or perhaps answers were not consistent. With screen sharing will agent see SSN, DOB and address for example. I think should be found in the commonly asked questions section. Can a screenshot be provided for a proof that the above information is not visible?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
PattiF
Expert Alumni

TurboTax doesn't have screen share, but you can send your tax return with a token that will allow an Expert to investigate any problem. All personal information that you mentioned is hidden.

In TurboTax Online:  
Click Tax Tools in the menu to the left.
Click Tools, and then
Click Share my file with Agent.
A pop-up message will appear. Click OK to send the sanitized diagnostic copy to us.

Provide the token number that is generated onto this thread. Post the token number in Community.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Zelennn
Returning Member

Not sure i understand. I was logged in to my account and requested a call back and once on the phone i wanted to share my screen to show something and the agent send me a pop-up invite on my screen and that there was a blue line that was outlining the visible are i guess. Not sure what are you referencing to, is that a different option? 

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

No, your personal information is blurred out on the agent's side. Once you give access to the agent, the agent can see your TurboTax program only. They can also highlight or use a cursor to show you where to go, but the agent cannot control your computer or make any changes to your TurboTax information. The agent will rely on you to move to the applicable section of the program so they can assist you. For more information, please see this TurboTax help article: What is SmartLook?

[Edited 03.21.22| 11:15 am]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I had an expert helping me and I knew he was viewing my screen because there was the blue box around it and when he finished helping me, he said he disabled it, but the blue box is still on. I even logged out, restarted my computer and logged back in and the blue box is still around my screen. Can he still see my screen? 

There are two different screen share programs.  The first is called Smartlook and the agent sends you a pop up box and you agree to share your screen.  You can also see the agent.  They cannot see any personal information.  Sometimes the agent want to see more than the allowed information and will ask you to run a program called Glance.  That allows everything on your screen to be displayed,

If you are seeing a blue box on your screen, then that agent may still be connected.  Restart your computer is you think that is happening.  The agent has no way to send you a screenshot of what they are seeing.

When a customer has a "problem" like the state tax folder will not download or open or do not have message on "community": ca;; [phone number removed], get turbo agent to give you a code # that they will send you, THEY CAN SEE YOUR SCREEN. This saves HOURS !!!! The agent has a red arrow on your screen that tells YOU where to click!!! go to "help"(last word on topline), scroll down to "screen share code".  give the agent you are talking to!

whala!!!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies