Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I worked until Sept (made 95k) and then became a full-time student. Should I buy a computer to reduce my taxable W2 2016 income? Or wait until 2017 (I'll earn much less)?

Thanks. I have been self-employed in the past and did make a very small amount this year - $700 but the computer would be $3k. I do itemize deductions every year and have taken them against my W2 in the past. (under the advise of tax accountants)

I worked until Sept (made 95k) and then became a full-time student. Should I buy a computer to reduce my taxable W2 2016 income? Or wait until 2017 (I'll earn much less)?

School is related to what I was doing professionally and is a way for me to develop my skills in my area. The computer will be for 75% for school and 25% for freelance work in 2017.

If you buy it in 2017, 25% could be depreciated on Schedule C, and 75% may be added to your potential school expenses.

Thanks TaxGuyBill! Happy New Year!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies