Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ktrinh3

Scholarship Sweepstakes Winnings

Hello -

My son won $10,000 through our state's Health Department Scholarship Sweepstakes.  The money was placed into a 529 with the Health State Department as the Owner and my son as a beneficiary.  Do I need to report this to the IRS?  If so, does my son file a return or can I report it under our tax return?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JamesG1
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

Did the state Health Department report income on an IRS form 1099-MISC or IRS form W-2G?  If they did, the tax document should report your son's Social Security number and you would report the prize on your son's 2022 Federal 1040 tax return.

Payments by Federal, state and local government agencies are required to report such payments.  

If the state did not report the prize as income, it may have been determined that your son did not constructively receive the award in 2022.  

Internal Revenue Code 26 CFR § 1.451-2 - Constructive receipt of income may be found here.

@ktrinh3 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JamesG1
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

Did the state Health Department report income on an IRS form 1099-MISC or IRS form W-2G?  If they did, the tax document should report your son's Social Security number and you would report the prize on your son's 2022 Federal 1040 tax return.

Payments by Federal, state and local government agencies are required to report such payments.  

If the state did not report the prize as income, it may have been determined that your son did not constructively receive the award in 2022.  

Internal Revenue Code 26 CFR § 1.451-2 - Constructive receipt of income may be found here.

@ktrinh3 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies