Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bhoward1963
Returning Member

Schedule D Question

I sold my home in 2023 and qualified for a partial exclusion since we moved from NC to MI for my husbands job 19 months after we sold our former residence.

Column G is not including the selling expenses that I input in turbotax. 

I sold the home for $425,000, and the cost basis is $351,934.  However - column G is showing ($73,066).  I went back and made sure that I included the selling expenses of $28,000.  Shouldn't column G show ($45,066) even though the gain is zero?  I just want to be sure that this is being reported correctly before filing.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Schedule D Question

No.  Column G is showing the adjustment (-73,066) that takes the gain to zero.  The $28,000 selling expenses are part of the adjustment in column G. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
bhoward1963
Returning Member

Schedule D Question

I think maybe I need to clarify.  The house sold for $425,000.  I had selling expenses of $28,000.  My cost basis is $351,934.  

My calculations are $425,000 less $351,934 less $28,000 = ($45,066) - which is the amount Turbo Tax said I was excluded from paying taxes on.

Schedule D, part II line G is showing ($73,066) which is $ 425,000 less $351,934. 

What am I not understanding here?

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Schedule D Question

Your gain is calculated as sales price minus cost basis and then any adjustments (Column G) to yield the gain in column h.  So your gain is 425,000 minus 351,934 and the total adjustment (-73,066) is in column G for a gain of zero in column h.  

If for example you had not qualified for the partial exclusion your schedule D would have read:

Gain

425,000     351,934     -28,000    45,066 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies