Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jgdemeritt
Returning Member

Schedule D and Form 8949 have a glitch

The forms availability list shows that form 8949 is available.  This has a 1/14/21 date of availability previously.  When using my downloaded TT 2020 Premier, schedule D and trying to add an 8949 form nothing happens.  Form 8949 is not showing on the list either.  So there is something wrong with the software this year or they've done a poor job communicating when forms will be available.  Not sure what to do about this.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

As previously stated on your prior post -

The Form 8949 is available if you complete entry of an investment sale in the Investment Income section of the program.  The 8949 is added and populated by the TurboTax program if the Schedule D has been completed for investment sales.

If you do not have a Schedule D you will not have a Form 8949.  Have you entered anything in the Investment Income section of the program?

jgdemeritt
Returning Member

I was using the forms view, which may have a glitch because I couldn't generate the form. I followed your advice and used the step by step and entered one sale and the form was generated. So I'll see if I can now go to forms view to enter others. Thank you. Still think the forms view should be looked at, unless I'm missing something.

jgdemeritt
Returning Member

It appears the TT 2020 version forces use of the step-by-step to enter gains and losses instead of doing it directly from the forms view.  This may be to review some of the questions.   I was able to directly fill out 8949 last year.  So I worked around this by entering the sum of the ST and LT as two stock sales in the step-by-step and then went to verify it passed to the form correctly.  It looks like I can't change the amounts on 8949 unless I go back to the step-by-step.  I like using the forms view because its faster but it looks like I can't any longer for this form.  Does this make sense or is there another way to enter sales directly?  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies