Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Savings Bonds

Regarding taxes due for cashing in savings bonds, would that be done when filing taxes for the year? Is there another option?

1 Reply
Employee Tax Expert

Savings Bonds

Hello @Noelle2022 . Happy to assist! 


What type of savings bond do you have?  You typically need to pay taxes on the interest, but there are a few exceptions.  Municipal bonds are exempt at the federal level and some states depending on the situation.  US Treasuries are exempt from state and local income taxes but will be taxed federally.  Corporate bonds are usually taxable.  


If you sell a bond, then you would be taxed on the capital gains.  


Here is a great link on bonds and how they are taxed: Guide to Investment Bonds and Taxes 


If you have Series EE and Series I savings bonds, you can avoid taxes by using them to pay for college expenses.  There are some qualifications you would have to meet.  This link explains how to do this if you are interested: 


I hope this helps and feel free to follow up if you need some clarification!!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies