Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Saving Files

Every time I make a change on a return I save it. So let's say I prepared a return on 4/5. I save the file when I  leave the return. Then, on 4/10, I update the return. I save it. In my TurboTax folder, should the 4/5 return be replaced by the 4/10 version, or should it leave me with both?

Also, this may be meaningless, but on one version, the file that is saved has a curvy hyphen before the file name.. So if I've save 4/5 and 4/10, the hyphen will precede one of those returns - sometimes the earlier one and sometimes the later one.

Note that I also save a PDF of the return.

My intention is to delete the earlier file which has been superseded. But before I delete a file, I was wondering if the hyphen means anything.

I'm also curious if you save the "key calculation" worksheets in the PDF - many of which are quite meaningless. Or do you only check "official government forms"?

Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Saving Files

If you save a file with the same name and directory the new one overwrites the old one. The files with a tilde are temporary files and can be ignored.  You can choose not to print any worksheets you don’t want included in your pdf. 

Saving Files

@superman23 

1)  I save as a PDF, and then, actually print the "official" forms to put in my yearly tax file folder, along with the W-2 and 1099-xxx forms sent to my by the various Payer's/Brokers etc,

2) Then I do s second save...just to a PDF, the Tax return and ALL calculation worksheets.  Generally I don't sue that one, but occasionally people start wondering, 5 or 10 years down the road, what they entered in the softwar for some incoem item.....and having the worksheets helps to seee waht they entered.   That far away, you'd be on a ne computer and may not be able to load the software to see those forms anymore without the PDF copy.

3) Then I copy those files to a rotating USB flash drive, that I put in my Bank safe deposit box.  The USB Flash drive (even if just in your file drawer)  is critical to keep every year....without fail...because computer disk drives & SSD's do fail.  We get quite a few folks begging to somehow get copies every year when it's too late, and they had never backed them up off-computer.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Saving Files

When you save a file in TurboTax, it overwrites the previous version.  If you want to save multiple versions, you have to use the "Save as" or "Save a copy" command and give the file a different name.

The file with the ~ in front of the name is a temporary file created by the operating system when the main file is opened.  It should automatically be deleted when you quit the program.  If you have old files with ~ in their name, they can be deleted.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies