turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Saving Files

Every time I make a change on a return I save it. So let's say I prepared a return on 4/5. I save the file when I  leave the return. Then, on 4/10, I update the return. I save it. In my TurboTax folder, should the 4/5 return be replaced by the 4/10 version, or should it leave me with both?

Also, this may be meaningless, but on one version, the file that is saved has a curvy hyphen before the file name.. So if I've save 4/5 and 4/10, the hyphen will precede one of those returns - sometimes the earlier one and sometimes the later one.

Note that I also save a PDF of the return.

My intention is to delete the earlier file which has been superseded. But before I delete a file, I was wondering if the hyphen means anything.

I'm also curious if you save the "key calculation" worksheets in the PDF - many of which are quite meaningless. Or do you only check "official government forms"?

Thanks.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Saving Files

If you save a file with the same name and directory the new one overwrites the old one. The files with a tilde are temporary files and can be ignored.  You can choose not to print any worksheets you don’t want included in your pdf. 

Saving Files

@superman23 

1)  I save as a PDF, and then, actually print the "official" forms to put in my yearly tax file folder, along with the W-2 and 1099-xxx forms sent to my by the various Payer's/Brokers etc,

2) Then I do s second save...just to a PDF, the Tax return and ALL calculation worksheets.  Generally I don't sue that one, but occasionally people start wondering, 5 or 10 years down the road, what they entered in the softwar for some incoem item.....and having the worksheets helps to seee waht they entered.   That far away, you'd be on a ne computer and may not be able to load the software to see those forms anymore without the PDF copy.

3) Then I copy those files to a rotating USB flash drive, that I put in my Bank safe deposit box.  The USB Flash drive (even if just in your file drawer)  is critical to keep every year....without fail...because computer disk drives & SSD's do fail.  We get quite a few folks begging to somehow get copies every year when it's too late, and they had never backed them up off-computer.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Saving Files

When you save a file in TurboTax, it overwrites the previous version.  If you want to save multiple versions, you have to use the "Save as" or "Save a copy" command and give the file a different name.

The file with the ~ in front of the name is a temporary file created by the operating system when the main file is opened.  It should automatically be deleted when you quit the program.  If you have old files with ~ in their name, they can be deleted.  

TuTaxRon

Saving Files

Why doesn't the program just routinely delete the ~prefix files?

Are they in fact a renamed version of the last copy saved?   Even o, all other Intuit programs delete the prior versions when the program is closed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies