Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Same problem(!), different year (2023!). Help!!!.

Hi all. I thought I was losing my mind; until I came here. Yep. Saaaaaame problem now for tx yr 2023. (And the $0 trick didn’t help!) Read on; advice? TTx experts simply kicked us to irs directly. Read on please:

I prepared my roomate’s (“D”) txes for her to file online. We used TurboTax online last year. She had two different (jobs and thus two) W2s in 2022; other than that, very very very standard everything. She is a teacher—so not sure if related to that or general (live in NYC), lines 69 ($63) and 69a ($150) are for NYC school tax credits. (I later tried to enter new AGI after adjusting for this,  but still no dice. And anyway I believe those are standard for all. Point is, I tried a few numbers!) Help. 

Ignoring the above for a moment, we filed via TurboTax in 2022; used the online but she owed a small amount, so we printed and mailed rather than have uncle sam zap out $ before needed.

All was accepted and fine.

Enter 2023. One W2 (one job). Everything standard. Not a single fancy deduction or anything. This year (filing single so on), she is due a small Fed and NYS refund. Files online with a few clicks. Accepted. 

BAM! One business day later (filed on Sat night; received email from TTx on Monday), “Rejected both Fed and St (of course, bc of Fed is rejected by irs, state is auto rejected it seems). 

Went online “We can help you fix it!” It then proceeded to a screen that said the irs rejected the AGI. Hmmmm, so I look at what we filed with TTx (they had PY, 2022, document, and sure enough that was the figure!” Re-entered it thinking a bug. 

BAM! (Second time); rejected bc didn’t agree AGI that irs has, so I’m thinking “Hmm, OK. Maybe they got what we mailed them, but they computed AGI slightly differently for some reason”.

So I try to $0 trick. BAM (third time).  So I go to ID.me and irs website w her to download her actual irs transcript from 2022. The actual info in their files! This is their form 1099-G and says so on the transcript (three pages; attached here without any of here info). 

Guess what? AGI, which is *the* number everyone refers to and needs? Yeah, that one? There is NOT a line for it on the entire transcript (even though it is correctly computed on the 1040 files manuallly, as mentioned above.)

So the very own irs transcript doesn’t list AGI!!! Wow. I couldn’t  believe it. How can leave off a line that is the holy grail?!

So now we’re stuck. I guess my next route is to call irs (yes, try to hide your envy!) —anyone m ow the best phone number?

what else can we do? Ideas ideas?

TY!

Page 1 of her transcript (standard)

IMG_2652.jpegpage 2

IMG_2653.jpeg

Page 3

IMG_2654.jpeg

Help!!!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

The transcript that you shared here looks like a Wage and Income transcript, not a Tax Return transcript.  Try logging into the IRS system again and see if there is a Tax Return transcript available.  The AGI should be shown in that one.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I tried this and they only show 2021 and 2020, 2022 is not avail for me at irs. 

I know the general irs 1-800-829 number. What sequence to SPEAK w someone there? TY

@dande123 

Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 3 for all other inquiries
It should then transfer you to an agent.

dmertz
Level 15

If there is no 2022 Tax Return transcript present, it seems that no 2022 tax return was successfully filed. TurboTax will respond with emails indicating the status of a filing, with the final one indicating that the tax return has been Accepted.  Until the return has been accepted, it has not been filed.

I hear what you’re saying “then no 2022 was filed “ and that would make sense but a) Turbo Tax (used for 2022–confirmed it was filed) AND irs took the payment due ($200) for the year and confirmed it was filed (I have that transcript of account, just not THE actual return that the irs finalized. Frustrating . 

I’ll have to call them. 

I called them, and while she was pulling up info she, of course, said “her system is slow/down”. 

This must be standard garbage line that all customer service reps of all companies are told bc I’d bet EVERYONE on here has heard that one. 

So NO, I did not get my answer. I guess I’ll call back. 

BillM223
Expert Alumni

It looks like the censors here have blocked your transcript (good because we don't need to see your private tax data).

Here is a sample Tax Return transcript supplied by the IRS:

Page 1 looks like this:

Page 3 looks like this:

Notice just above "Tax and Credits" two lines: "Adjusted Gross Income" and "Adjusted Gross Income per computer" The first one is the AGI that you came to on your form, and the second on was the AGI that the IRS computers calculated. Why would they be different? If you made a typo on a form which was corrected (remember that the IRS has copies of all your forms, including those you forgot to include with your return).

@dmertz  Out of curiosity, do you know which AGI the IRS wants you to match when filing?

So @dande123, if you are able to get back to the Transcripts and 2022 is there, you can use this sample as a guide to what the Tax Account Transcript looks like.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies