Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sales of Property

The facts are as follows:

• I bought a house in September of 2021 for $250K with the intention to make major rehab repairs and then flip. This house was in a really bad shape and needed a lot of work.
  • I was finally able to evict the inhabitants of the house in September of 2022. 
  • I started making repairs to the house in January of 2023 and finished everything by September of 2023. My total cost in the house from September 2021 to September 2023 was $200K. 
  • I did not take any depreciation on this house or any tax deductions.
  • I hold a real estate license and I am a part-time realtor and I spent a lot of time in selecting the contractors to do the work and also did some of rehab work myself.
  • I sold this house in September 2023 for $500K; thereby making a gain of $50K. 

My questions are as follows:

• What is the correct step by step process to get this entered in Turbo Tax and also what is the correct tax treatment for this?
  • Is my gain $50K? My thought process was that I could include all my expenses on this house since I bought it in September 2021 to finally selling it in September 2023. In addition, given that I did not take any depreciation or other tax deductions for my expenses since when I bought it then my cost basis in simply all my expenses without any recapture adjustments etc?
  • Would this information simply go in Part III of Form 4797? And in the description I can call it "Rehabilitation and Sale of House"?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Sales of Property

Please can one of the experts here help with this! I am in need to get my return done as soon as possible and take it to the post office in the next three hours. @Critter-3@AmyC@AmyC 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Sales of Property

You bought a house $250k. Added $200k in improvements and sold it for $500k. It goes on Sch D as sale of second home or other home. You can also add the allowed closing expenses from the purchase and sale.

Reference:

Where do I enter the sale of a second home, an inherited home, or land on my 2023 taxes?

About Publication 544, Sales and Other Dispositions of Assets

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies