turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sale of company stock

I purchased stock in my company for several years and then left the company and had to sell it. This was stock purchased at full price. It was not publicly traded stock and the offerings and purchase schedule were done through an invitation from the company board members. When I sold the stock, they did not give me a 1099-B, just a letter listing the details of the share price bought and sold and the dates of transactions. They didn't withhold any capital gains taxes or income taxes on the redemption. 

I wasn't sure how to enter this, so I chose the investment income 1099-B section and selected "long term did not received 1099-B form" from the pulldown selection for each sale. I also picked "Stock (non-employee)" for the type of investment sold, even though I was an employee, because there was no other cost break for this stock and I was not given the shares as part of my compensation. Is this the right way to enter the sale of these stocks? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
SueS5

Sale of company stock

Yes, you entered the stock correctly, as long a you entered the date of purchase, purchase price, date of sale, sales price in the correct places. (I'm a CPA and retired TurboTax advisor).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies