Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jslavik4

I sold all stock when I left my company. They do not provide a 1099-B. I put in long term sale no 1099-B in Turbotax but it says the IRS requires a copy. What do I do?

I have the stock basis values from my old company, as well as stock value at sale and deferred comp value (which I paid taxes on already).  I'm at a loss as how to input this into Turbotax to insure I am paying the requisite taxes on the capital gains without the 1099-B form, which old employer informed me they don't provide.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

I sold all stock when I left my company. They do not provide a 1099-B. I put in long term sale no 1099-B in Turbotax but it says the IRS requires a copy. What do I do?

You do not need a form 1099-B to report the sale. And the IRS does not require 1099-B forms as long as you have records of cost basis and sale price, date of acquisition and date of sale. The capital gains/losses are long term if you have held the stocks for more than a year.

On form 8949, these transactions will be reported in Box F - Long term transactions not reported to you on Form 1099-B.

The instructions for form 8949 say:

Box F.

Report on a Part II with box F checked all long-term transactions for which you can't check box D or E because you didn't receive a Form 1099-B (or substitute statement).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies