guy39

sale of a business

I sold a rental that I bought in 2009 and that I rented until the date I put it up for sale in Aug 2019. From 2009 through 2018, I used TurboTax for income, expenses and investments in the rental. But in 2017, my computer was wiped out by a virus and I just copied by hand the last printed return prior to the virus to make calculation for 2018..

Here is My Question: When I saved a file for the last time each year, just prior to printing and sending the file to IRS, was the file saved only on my computer, or in TurboTax cloud?

Thank you

tagteam

sale of a business

@guy39 wrote:

....When I saved a file for the last time each year, just prior to printing and sending the file to IRS, was the file saved only on my computer, or in TurboTax cloud?

The .tax2018 file (or any other year's tax file) is saved only on your computer when using a TurboTax desktop product, such as TurboTax Premier for Windows; Intuit does not save tax files in the cloud.

You can get a transcript or copy of your return(s) from the IRS web site below.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

Anonymous
Not applicable

sale of a business

it is highly recommended that when using a desktop version, you save a pdf copy and a copy of the .taxxxx file offline like on a thumb drive.  the .tax file is only useful if you keep the tax program installed because after  the third filing season, reinstallation will produce a different return because updates are no longer available.  TT online  deletes the tax files after 6 years.  and the IRS only keeps transcripts for 7 years, unless it is investigating  the possibility of tax evasion.