Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Roth Conversion Confusion

This year we did a Roth conversion for my wife. When entering the information I received a couple of questions that puzzled me.

Firstly, when entering the information it continually references MY name as the IRA holder and I cannot find how to enter the conversion info for my wife's IRA. Is this because I am the primary tax filer?

Secondly, the software asks for the total value of all my traditional IRA's, excluding the Roth.

- Why is this relevant when other IRA's are not being touched?

- Is this just for the accounts in the name of the person doing the conversion, or husband and wife combined?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Delete that 1099R and start over.  At the beginning you pick who it is for.  The total will be just for  the person, not combined.  

Thanks VolvoGirl, I see now where I went wrong. 

Do you know why we would be asked to report the value of traditional IRA's now when we never needed to before? Also, why only for my wife and not for me? 

I appreciate the help.

If she turned 72 she has to take the RMD out before converting to the ROTH.  @dmertz 

dmertz
Level 15

TurboTax asks for the year-end value in traditional IRAs in case it's subsequently determined that your wife made nondeductible contributions to her traditional IRAs and Form 8606 needs to be prepared.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies