Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

room and board expenses

Good day everyone,

my 2nd daughter 1098T form has

box1 = 5547 , box 5 =16269,

and her room expenses = 6139,

and room payment used came from the Fapsa grant, and all articles and posting in TTax community says room expenses is taxable.

After i enter datas from 1098T, i come across a section that ask "Did you pay for Room and Board with a scholarship or grant?", and entered her 6139 room expense. As i finish the federal review section, i click on the forms mode icon on top right, to see if the room expense had been considered as income and be taxable, but i am just seeing a value of 10722, (which is 16269(box 5)- 5547(box1) = 10722)

Other datas
few months of her extra job W2 = 14228
interest tax = 449
Agi = 25339   (that is, (box5 - box1)+ 14228+ 449),

i dont see where the room expense(6139) had been added to as income (and need to be tax), should TTax had added it automatically or, should i add it manually as other income?

i was expecting TTax will add it, as there is a section that asked for room and board payments,

thanks in advance for any infos and comments, and have a stress free day..

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

room and board expenses

Basically, anything in box 5 greater than box 1 is taxable income unless it was used for other qualified education expenses such as a laptop that was required or books that were required as part of enrollment.  So yes, the room expenses are counted as taxable income.  They are not entered a second time or the amount would be double taxed. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies