Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mycomike

Return rejected when 5 of 5 EIN numbers (re-entered 2x) were not recognized. All were from major institutions, Fidelity and Stifel, or retirement funds, WI. Why?

I doubt this is an IRS issue. Instead I think TurboTax software problems.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Return rejected when 5 of 5 EIN numbers (re-entered 2x) were not recognized. All were from major institutions, Fidelity and Stifel, or retirement funds, WI. Why?

We'd love to help you complete your tax return, but need more information. Can you please clarify your question? Please provide more information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Not sure, but something strange and somewhat similar to this happened to me recently.  A large brokerage firm at which I have had accounts for many years, suddenly sent me a request for a W-9 for an account that has been open there for years claiming that the IRS notified them it did not recognize the EIN (it's a trust account) and I needed to submit a new W-9 immediately (which I did and then they said the IRS was satisfied with it).

Nothing changed on that account, it's been filing taxes under the same name and same EIN for 5 years with no problems.  All of a sudden they didn't recognize it?  Makes no sense.

And then!  The brokerage firm put the account on "B notice!"  HUH?  B notice means that the account is owned by a non-resident if the USA and means they automatically start withholding taxes (which they did start doing!).  Have no idea where that came from.  Contacted them and after about 2 hours of my time wasted finally got them to remove the B notice and reverse the withholding transactions.  What a pain.

Don't know how much of this was the brokerage and how much was the IRS, but something was definitely weird.  Didn't affect any of my other accounts including a second trust that I have.

Maybe it has something to do with the Democrat's new 87,000 new IRS hires?

mycomike

I gave up and filed on paper. I'll be looking at a different tax software for next year.

You'll be lucky if you have that option.  The IRS is trying to put the tax software companies out of business by creating its own online filing system which is now being tested for the first time this tax year.  If you think things are a mess now, wait until the federal government takes over the filing process.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies