Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Restarting TurboTax Changes Tax Owed to a Refund

I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this. I've seen it twice now.

In my first run at completing my tax return, after restarting the program and installing the updates, my amount owed changed to a refund. The swing was quite substantial, more than several hundreds of dollars. 

I didn't think I should trust that result, so yesterday (March 6), I started over from scratch.  End result... I owed about a hundred dollars. Restart the program today, install the update.. same thing happens again. No explanation. Instead of owing, it now says I get a pretty large refund.

Huh?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Yep...something strange is happening....and shouldn't (at least not normally)

The only way to track it is to have a PDF printout from before the update, and compare it line-by-line to a PDF printout after the update, so that you can see exactly what changed (and shouldn't have).

But once the update has already happened, it's hard to know where the foul-up was occurring.  So, on the file that has changed, you'd need to go thru the entire tax interview Q&A again editing every form to see if it changes back to the taxes owed/refund you expected initially.

_________

OR...worst case.

1) Save a PDF of the updated filing forms....and print out.

2) Then, start a NEW file for the 3rd time (I know...AHHHHH..Noooo!)....make sure you do a SAVE-AS to a specifically-named different file name soon after you start.  Then when you get to the point where your taxes-owed was back to what you saw originally...save it and print out another PDF filing copy.   

3) Then compare the filing copies for #1 to #2 and see what line(s) have changed, and track down what's getting screwed up that way.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Yeah @SteamTrain .. I always save PDFs when I'm done. Wish I would have done it this time to see what exactly changed. Nevertheless, I did go through the updated forms page b page, and somehow my AGI went down.  Very puzzling. 

In any case, good to know it's not just happening to me. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies