Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Resident alien J1 research scholar without W2

Hi! I'm a  visa J1 Research Scholar holder since December 2019. Last year, I reported my taxes as a Nonresident alien using Glacier software, but this year the program considered me a Resident alien for taxes purposes because I have been living here for more than 2 years, so I can't use that program. I would like to know how I should report my income, I'm a postdoc, I received a monthly stipend, which is not a scholarship. I didn't receive a W2 or any official documentation. I'll appreciate any advice on this, thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

According to this IRS source,  a J-1 alien cannot exclude U.S. day of presence as a “teacher or trainee” for more than two calendar years, unless they extend their exemption.  A student can exclude up to five years with no extensions and file as a non-resident.

At this point, I am not sure if being a Research Scholar classifies you as a student or “teacher or trainee" but if you are the latter, then you meet the criteria for being a resident alien. Here is the criteria.

• Generally, a J-1 alien who spends 122 days in the United States in each year of the 3-year period will meet the Substantial Presence Test for the current calendar year and be considered a U.S. resident. For details on the 3-year look-back formula refer to Substantial Presence Test.

Here is how to report your income as a US resident alien.

1. Go to federal>income and expenses>all income>>show more 
  2. Less Common Income> Start
  3. Miscellaneous Income,>start 
  4. Other reportable income>start
  5. Next screen asks Any Other Taxable Income>yes
  6. The next screen will allow you to report the stipend with a brief explanation and the amount.

If after reviewing this and if you determine you are a non-resident, you can file through our affiliate at  sprintax.com.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

According to this IRS source,  a J-1 alien cannot exclude U.S. day of presence as a “teacher or trainee” for more than two calendar years, unless they extend their exemption.  A student can exclude up to five years with no extensions and file as a non-resident.

At this point, I am not sure if being a Research Scholar classifies you as a student or “teacher or trainee" but if you are the latter, then you meet the criteria for being a resident alien. Here is the criteria.

• Generally, a J-1 alien who spends 122 days in the United States in each year of the 3-year period will meet the Substantial Presence Test for the current calendar year and be considered a U.S. resident. For details on the 3-year look-back formula refer to Substantial Presence Test.

Here is how to report your income as a US resident alien.

1. Go to federal>income and expenses>all income>>show more 
  2. Less Common Income> Start
  3. Miscellaneous Income,>start 
  4. Other reportable income>start
  5. Next screen asks Any Other Taxable Income>yes
  6. The next screen will allow you to report the stipend with a brief explanation and the amount.

If after reviewing this and if you determine you are a non-resident, you can file through our affiliate at  sprintax.com.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies