Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Request from IRS for form 8895 from 2018 filing

I filed my 2018 return this past summer using TurboTax Home and Business, desktop version.  I just used the update tool from the "Online" menu of the software, and it says the software is up to date, however I am not sure that it is, based on what I am running into....  

As mentioned above, I received a letter from the IRS that says my Dec 31, 2018 filing was received but they need more information to process the return accurately.   It goes on to say that form 8895 is incomplete or missing from my return, and upon review of the pdf that I saved back when I printed the paper copies and mailed them in, 8895 never generated, nor do I see a way to generate it in the software now in order to meet their request.  I see three worksheets referencing the Qualfied Business Deduction, which is the subject of the 8895 form they are asking about, but none of these worksheets were included when I selected the print and file option back when i filed, nor do they appear on that list today when i tried again.  I would also imagine the IRS would ask for the worksheets, not the 8895, if that is what they truly wanted....if they wanted the worksheets, they would have asked for them.   So why can I not generate this apparently mandatory form now, and why didnt it generate months ago when I filed?   

Regarding the QBI deduction, my wife and I filed jointly, with W2 income of approx $250k total, approx 40k revenue in a sole proprietorship, and approx 36k in associated sole proprietorship expenses/COGS, making or schedule c income for the year $4686, and then $331 deductible portion of SE Tax, so the number used for QBI by turbo tax was $4355, the  20% of this was used for the deduction ($871).   This seems like pretty basic arithemetic and a worksheet is not needed to take our QBI and multiply it by 20%, so why would the iRS want this form anyway, and again, if it is required, why didnt you provide it when I printed my returns?  Now I am going to have a file with a red flag and increased chance of future audits...

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Turbotax did nothing wrong and the form is 8995. there is no IRS form 8895. The IRS is requesting a form that did not exist in 2018. the instructions for line 9 the QBI deduction line merely say to figure your QBI deduction using the worksheets in the 1040 instructions. it does not request any forms be submitted. i also had a QBI deduction for 2018 and no form or worksheets were submitted when I e-filed. the IRS never requested any support. 

about all you can do is complete the worksheet in the instructions and explain when responding that the IRS never published the form requested for 2018. 

the QBI deduction can become a lot more complicated because it can be limited if your taxable income is too high. you can also get the QBI deduction for any dividends specified as 199A/QBI dividends and there are a lot more items that can affect the deduction. 

In the downloaded program, switch to the FORMS mode to seek out the worksheet.  Send that with your explanation they are incorrect on that form being needed.  Remember you sent a 2018 return more than 3 years late so the data input operator may not remember back that far.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies