taxipayer

Reporting / validating suspicious resellers

Where do I report a suspicious reseller or validate that they are legitimate?

Searching Google for TurboTax Deluxe 2017 (https://www.google.com/search?q=turbotax+deluxe+2017&tbm=shop) brings up a vendor ($28.00 from eCrater - wagykatherine, https://www.ecrater.com/p/29149657/turbotax-deluxe-for-tax-year-2017-federal). When ordered from the vendor, a download link to a file sharing website was provided. Link was like https://www.mediafire.com/file/.../TurboTax_Deluxe_2017_MAC-1.zip. I intentionally gave only part of the link.

Another vendor that comes up on Google is https://store.taxprosdeal.com/. Where do I verify these vendors who prominently distribute TurboTax software, but some are supposedly not authorized?

If it's not a major brand name, or the price is lower than Costco, it's probably not authorized. (Costco sells below wholesale cost because they make their profit on the membership fee.  Anyone selling lower than Costco is almost definitely a bogus reseller and you are getting pirated software, or software with malware, or they will just take your money and run.)

Unfortunately there is no published list, but places like Amazon. Staples, Target, Walmart, Costco, OfficeMax, Best Buy.  For online computer sellers, I think NewEgg and OWC are authorized.

I'll report this post to the moderators for investigation by security.  Unfortunately, top google hits are paid for, and it's hard to stop them.

Traceroute shows one of those vendors is using a server farm in Sweden, that does not inspire confidence.  And ecrater is like eBay, anyone can open an account and sell anything.
GabiU

Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention. Please purchase TurboTax from our website, Amazon, Costco, Office Max, Staples, or other major brand names as mentioned above.

Again, thanks for reaching out.
TinaH52

Probably not.  I'll tell the Moderator.

And Business program is not $119.99.  That is for the Online self employed version.  The actual Business program is $169.99  here

https://turbotax.intuit.com/small-business-taxes/

Toadlips72

I just purchased from [URL removed]

I became suspicious when I saw the name of the vendor on the receipt was a vietnamese name rather than Intuit, etc...

I paid via PayPal, so I do not believe my payment details were disclosed.  I ran the installer through an online virus scanner and it did find a Trojan dropper.

The interesting thing is that I paid for and downloaded an official version from Amazon as well.  The file sizes were different, but the Amazon file also indicated a Trojan dropper with the online virus scanner.

I would like to confirm whether or not the original site I downloaded from is an official reseller.  I have already filed a dispute with PayPal.

You have to be very careful with anything at Amazon ... they do support resellers and don't screen them carefully.  At least with them you have the ability to return the item and get your money back ... not so with many other fly by night scammers.  

I just purchased from https://www.turbotaxshopping.net/   IS NOT AN AUTHORIZED RESELLER. 

In the future be more wary ... in the company info there was an address for a personal residence not a business building and Intuit is not run from someone's home office.  

https://www.turbotaxshopping.net/returns-policy.html

1.PNG

Toadlips72

Thanks for the reply...this is a pretty elaborate scam.  I received "thank you for registering" emails, order confirmation email, etc.  Looks pretty official.  The installer showed the same trojan dropper for the Amazon file (which is hosted directly by Amazon via direct digital download), so there is a chance that the file itself is legit, but I don't trust the site and obviously will not use the software.  Too bad I didn't notice who the money was going to before I submitted payment to PayPal.

freeturbo1633

This has to be a scam or fake site.  I can't get any help with my issues and I am stuck.  Now, I have to worry about the info entered going the the dark web.  aaaaaargh!

freeturbo1633

What mod is online here?   Only robots and control freak robots at that.  They will not let me thumbs up a good post and down thumb a bad one.   No choice but to praise the scamming AI programmers and no choice at all to up thumb  and no choice but to down thumb critics.  I am taking screenshots and documenting the whole thing but first I have to find a way out of this rabbit hole.

AkinaLO

@freeturbo1633 If you are an Intuit customer and wish to report a suspicious email, website, suspected fraud, or a general security problem with an Intuit product or with your Intuit account, please reference the main security issue reporting page or reach out directly to our security team at security@intuit.com