turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Reporting income from Airbnb abroad

Many thanks for helping.

I live abroad and have Airbnb income through my primary residence as passive income. 

Did I understand correctly that since it's not earned income, I shouldn't include it in Foreign Earned Income Exclusion?

I get Foreign Tax Credit can be applied to all sort of income so I should use FTC right? But I should also have paid the tax already. If I know I won't pay it before the deadline what's my options?

Sorry there are many questions in this topic.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
pk
Level 15
Level 15

Reporting income from Airbnb abroad

@tdo061803 , I am not sure  I understand the situation --

(a) are you US citizen/ Resident ( Green Card ) living abroad?  Which country? 

(b) Are you a citizen of a different country ( than USA) if you are a Green Card holder?

(c) your erstwhile primary residence  is in which country -- USA or elsewhere and if so which country ?

While you clarify the above, I will assume you are US citizen/Green Card holder  living and working  abroad.  And that your home being  "rented out" is in the USA.

In that specific case  ONLY your active income and/or self-employment income earned/ worked abroad are eligible for foreign earned income exclusion.  Thus your "passive" income from rental is not eligible for exclusion.  If the foreign country is taxing you on this passive income  then  you can either use deduction  ( Itemized deduction, Schedule-A, taxes paid  -- SALT limits apply ) or use foreign tax credit ( form 1116 ) . Note that the safe harbor rules apply to this passive income taxed by both countries.  TurboTax will do all of this for you  ( you just have fill out the  foreign taxes paid and the amount of taxes involved  )

For foreign tax credit, the tax amount either has to paid/finalized  or levied -- just  if the  amount paid is not finalized, then you may have to go back and amend the US tax filing to  reconcile the difference.

Does this help ?

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies