Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Reporting a Stock Sale with ST & LT Gains

Another thought:
Since I have significant time spent entering all my information into the "online version" I guess I could iterate in 100 dollar increments to see how that tax changes as I cross those MAGI thresholds, for example 250K for the NIIT tax.   I can compare this to the calculations I expect and if it matches just finish with the "online version.
If turbo tax "online" is indeed wrongly applying the 3.8% NIIT tax on the 401K In-Kind distrupution, then every 100K over the 250K threshold will add an additional 3,800 to my taxes and I should see that.
If if the end result is what I do expect I don't have to start over entering everything into the "desktop version" of Turbo Tax.       At a minimum I've learned more about the two versions of the software and educated myself on NUAs ,  1099-R and 1099-B considerations for entering the cost basis, NUA distribution amt, and post distribution appreciation that can be handled with changing the cost basis and matching it to the 1099-B (that in my case didn't include a cost bases or any purchase dates which allows one to adjust those - a good thing).  In a perfect world it would be nice if there were 2  1099-B forms, one for the distribution and one for the post distribution gain or loss.    

Reporting a Stock Sale with ST & LT Gains

I don't know about your stock stuff but if you want to use the Desktop program you can switch from Online without needing to start over.  The Desktop program has more features and you can do more than 1 return like to test in.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies