Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Report crypto transactions without the history

I have made a few USDC deposits into the Celsius platform and it has been earning weekly interests in USDC before the company went bankrupted. I have not been manually tracking any of these transactions and now I cannot access the Celsius platform app anymore. 

Am I eligible to report all the deposited USDC funds in this platform as a capital loss? If so, can I just report a total loss amount since I no longer have the individual transactions? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

you can't write it off until it is certified 100% that you can never recover.

The bankruptcy proceedings could recover some fraction of your funds.

What kind of proof do I need to get for the loss to be certified to claim on my tax return? It seems like the bankrupt case is still ongoing since last year and may continue for a number of years. 

@fanfare 

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

When the bankruptcy case is discharged, you will then have your final answer of if you will receive anything or if it is a total loss. That will also be your proof as bankruptcies are public record. 

Also, in order to determine your loss, you would need to have some type of tracking or evidence of your investment/deposits.  Your unrealized earnings that you have never included in taxable income is not considered a loss so you would not be able to take any type of loss for them.  If however, you did report the earnings in your taxable income and they were reinvested, when it becomes completely worthless, you would be able to also include the earnings. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies