Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bk22152

Rental Property Renovation Depreciation

In 2021 I did a major renovation to my rental property (complete remodel of kitchen and bathrooms, appliances, flooring).  At the time I selected "Appliances, Carpet and Furnishings" as the most logical selection under Rental Real Estate Property from the list of asset types provided.  I now see that it has set up my depreciation method as 200DB/MQ (which is 5 year double declining balance).  Is this acceptable or do I need to amend my 2021 and 2022 returns?  I see now through recent Q&A responses that I should have selected "Residential Rental Real Estate" (though this still looks more like adding a new rental property, than it does capital improvements on an existing property).

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

That is the correct place for the appliances which can be entered individually and depreciated over 5 years.   The rest of the improvement is depreciated like the rest of the property over 27.5 years... follow the residential property path to enter  that lump sum figure.

See this link for the guidance the iRS provided on repairs vs improvements. Those components that increase the value of the property must be capitalized. the permanent components like new floors, windows, tubs showers sinks would be 27.5 years. appliance and carpeting are 5 years.   Obviously some old components were replaced if these were separate assets any undeprecited balance can be written off.   

https://www.dbbllc.com/newsletters/focus-our-tax-e-newsletter/irs-clarifies-capital-improvement-vs-r... 

TC78

We did renovations to a condo before putting it into service in February 2024.  When I go to enter the value (after specifying "Appliances, carpet, furniture") it asks for a date of purchase.  There were about 40 trips to the hardware store over several months.  Do I need to enter every $8 purchase, or can we just list the asset as "Renovation" and use the date we put it in service?  The total value is only about $3000.

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Was the property ever in service in 2023? If not, than the renovations made would be added to the property's basis and depreciated going forth in 2/2024. There is nothing to list for 2023.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TC78

Whoops!  Mental lapse, there.  The property was put into service in February of 2023, not 2024.  The renovations took place from mid 2022 to early 2023.

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

If all of the repairs/renovations took place prior to the property being placed in service in February of 2024, then those costs are added to the property's basis as improvements and depreciated. You'll see the page 'Any property improvements made?' in the property profile section. 

Improvements/repairs made when a property has already been placed in service but suspended while work is done, can be expensed/depreciated according to category. 

TC78

Yes, but my question is about entering the expenses for depreciation.  If the renovation took several months, can I lump all the 40 or so receipts together and just say the purchase date was the day the project was finished?  We did a variety of things, from new flooring and subfloor to replacing switchplate covers, and the receipts range from over $600 down to less than $3.

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

It depends.  If the renovations were repairs to bring the value of the property back up to where it was then you can just deduct the lump amount and call it repairs.  If the renovations were improvements to increase the value of the property then the amount should be depreciated along with the original value of the property.

If this amount includes both of those things then you should divide it.

@TC78 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies