Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rejected: A Dependent SSN in the return ..

... Must not be the same as the Primary a Spouce SSN on another return where 'PrimaryClaimAsDependantIND' a 'SpouceClaimasDependantINd' is not checked.

I have checked all the SSNs I have listed as dependants, my wife's SSN. I have tripled checked them.

I went into Experian to see if my or my wife's SSN has been used and all the data is normal.

The dependants have not filed their taxes, One is disabled and the other two are minors and have yet to tackle taxes.

So what to look for?

I printed the taxes and took them to the mail so that they are at least in the mail.

But sure would like to know what the issue is.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Very Good!!!  You mailed the returns to the IRS and State.  Now, the IRS will figure out the issue and get in touch with you.  This will take a while so be patient.  Someone could have used the Social Security Number of one of your dependents to file a fraudulent return.  

Now, for these situations you can identify the dependent as follows:

If you are claiming more than one dependent, review and look for a number in brackets to indicate which dependent is causing the issue. For example: "[2]" will refer to the second dependent from the top.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The IRS will not tell you.   But it is possible that someone used one of your SSN's by accident--maybe not even on purpose.   Once a SSN is put into the system, it is impossible to e-file another return using that SSN.  You did the correct thing by mailing it.  The IRS will sort out the duplicate use of the SSN.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thanks. I was looking for that (2) on anything next to a name. I looked on the printed form and online and did not see anything but not giving up.

Hopefully in the near future it will be transparent either from the IRS or some magic will happen.

ddwebb

Thanks. I will wait it out and hopefully it will show what happened.

I didn't see any number in brackets so, since I was up against the 15th date, just printed them out and mailed the returns.

If I am lucky, the IRS will have some indication as to the issue once they get them and I can go back and correct on my side and be done.

But I have paused it all until then.

Thanks for your input.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies