Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Reject Code IND-517-01

I received this reject code after my filing, discovered what it might be in reference to... found the error on my daughters tax return and I amended and refiled her return which was accepted. My return was rejected for a 2nd time after going back in after amending daughters return and then doing my own refile. What do I do now?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
JulieS
Expert Alumni

Reject Code IND-517-01

Yes, any dependent can only be claimed once a year for e-file, so you aren't going to be able to e-file your return with her on it this year, even if her return has been corrected. 

You can either take her off, e-file your return, and then amend it later to add her as a dependent, or you can print, sign, and mail in your tax return this year with her on it. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Reject Code IND-517-01

I don't understand the "dependent can only be claimed once a year for e-file" consideration but do understand the process to move forward. Remove dependent and e-file (amend/add back in for next tax year) or keep dependent and file by mail. Thank You JulieS that did help.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Reject Code IND-517-01

Correct. Once a person's ssn has gone through the e-file system as either a taxpayer or dependent, that ssn can not go through again, even if it has been amended.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
LBOB

Reject Code IND-517-01

My son already filed his taxes and claimed himself and already received his refund.  I just want to remove him from my return and refile, however i cannot find where to do that.  When I click fixed my return it takes me to the code telling me the issue but does not prompt me to review any of the info…. How can I change it? 

jampri2

Reject Code IND-517-01

I received a IND-517-01 error code because I did not know that my son had filed his own tax return.  I removed him from my return but still keep getting the error message. Please help.

LBOB

Reject Code IND-517-01

How/where did you go to remove them?  I can’t even find that part 

jampri2

Reject Code IND-517-01

Under personal info. Then dependents.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies