Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Regression in 12/21 desktop release, 1040 line 37 tax due is wrong

Form 1040 Line 37 (tax due) is supposed to be line 24 minus line 33.

Line 24 (total tax) is $5999

Line 33 (total payments) is $6000

Line 37 (tax due) is $2341 including a $15 penalty.

I have a Schedule 3 tax credit on line 20 of $2327. That number is included line 24 "total tax" but somehow got dropped in the line 37 calculation.

This is a regression from the previous 12/13 release, where line 37 was -$1.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

This calculation error has been fixed in today's update, 2/8/24. But an existing return that contains the error will not automatically get corrected. You have to go through the Home Energy Credits interview again to make it recalculate the return correctly.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

> How do I contact TurboTax (intuit.com)

That link says "If you're using the TurboTax Desktop:

1. Go here to contact us.
  2. Ask your question, select Continue, and follow the instructions.

But the Go Here link just says to call them, there's no field for asking a questions and no Continue button.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@krochat wrote:

I have a Schedule 3 tax credit on line 20 of $2327.

@krochat 

It seems to be one specific credit on Schedule 3 that is causing this problem, not just any Schedule 3 credit. I tried a few different credits on Schedule 3 and did not have the problem. tagteam has reported the problem to TurboTax, but it will help to get the problem fixed more quickly if we can identify the specific credit that causes it. On your Schedule 3 Part I (lines 1 through 8), which lines have amounts, and what are the exact amounts on each line?

Schedule 3, line 5b, residential energy credit from form 5695 line 15, is $2327.

Form 5695, ,2023 Residential Energy Credits is DO NOT FILE with the entry fields needed disabled somehow so normal numbers can't be entered so the only option is to override. The following fields are overridden:

25a electrical improvements is $1090

25b, 30% of 25a is $327

29b electric heat pump is $9164

29e is $2000

32 is $2327

There was no problem with these overrides in the 12/13 release, but they're apparently being ignored in the 12/21 release.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@krochat 

Thanks. I was able to reproduce the problem. The overrides are not what is causing the problem. Any credit on Schedule 3 line 5b causes the same problem, even a credit that's entered through the Step-by-Step interview, such as insulation. The problem has been reported to TurboTax. I don't expect any response until after Christmas, and even then, it typically takes them a few weeks to get a fix into an update.

OK, thanks for the followup. My work-around is to just add the missing credit to my estimated tax payments.

Much of the 2023 program is still under construction and there will be many many updates to come in the next couple of weeks.  There are no bugs or program errors until after the estimated date of availability which you can check by either clicking on the REVIEW tab in the program  or  going online here :  https://form-status.app.intuit.com/tax-forms-availability/formsavailability?albRedirect=true&product... 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

This calculation error has been fixed in today's update, 2/8/24. But an existing return that contains the error will not automatically get corrected. You have to go through the Home Energy Credits interview again to make it recalculate the return correctly.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies