Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Registering a parent company

Hello,

I am interested in starting a parent company with multiple sub-companies and a non-profit under this parent company. How would I register the parent company with these intentions in mind? Thank you.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Andrew_W
Employee Tax Expert

@Beckfordsa wrote:

Hello,

I am interested in starting a parent company with multiple sub-companies and a non-profit under this parent company. How would I register the parent company with these intentions in mind? Thank you.

Hi @Beckfordsa! Thank you for your question.

Unfortunately, this is beyond the realm of tax advice. You may wish to consult with an attorney who specializes in business structures and formation to address your question here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Cate9
Employee Tax Expert

This is a very complex question and in order to create such an arrangement you really should work closely with both a CPA and an attorney.  There are several things that need to be considered, such as what type of entities are involved, what industries, and how they should be structured.  This includes all of the tax considerations for the owners/members/shareholders of each entity as well as taxation of the businesses.   The most important issue, however, is that if you want a parent company to be the owner of a not for profit business, the parent company cannot be a for profit business. There are ways to structure your businesses so that a for profit is associated with the non profit. 

In general, to set up a parent company, you would first establish that company, be it an LLC, or traditional corporation and determine how it will be taxed, partnership, s-corp, c-corp, non profit. Then you would set up the additional companies and indicate that they are wholly owned by the parent company.  Each of the subsidiary companies would report their income and expenses under the parent company.  But again, this is really a discussion that needs to be had face to face with an attorney and CPA. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies