Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Frankie99
Returning Member

Refund Check

What to do If you already received a state refund check before you even filed and you deposited that check. However when you start file your state returns you notice that they would refund you the same amount that you had received in the refund check plus the education credit that was not included in the refund check. What should I do? File as normal or is there a way to separate the portion I have already received from the education credit refund I am suppose to get.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Refund Check

You must have filed your federal and state without realizing you were filing the state. Now, you must do an amended state return to claim the education credit separately.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Frankie99
Returning Member

Refund Check

No I never filed anything at all never touched the website. I've never done my taxes before this is the first time I touched anything related to taxes.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Refund Check

Maybe the check was something besides a refund - there are scams where people will file a return for you and then call to tell you it was a mistake and you need to wire it somewhere. Do not fall for any scams and send the money anywhere else.

You will need to contact your state department and find out why they sent you a check before you file your tax return. If someone else has filed a return for you, you will need to report the incident. Good luck!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies