Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Reciprocity between midwest states

Hello,

I am a remote employee living at Ohio. I want to know more about reciprocity law. I have a residence at Ohio and plan to spend most of my time of the year at Ohio. My parent are in Kentucky. I plan to visit them and stay with them for couple of days this year. Do i need to count the days which I am staying in Kentucky and pay the Kentucky taxes  for those days ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Kentucky has reciprocal agreements with Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Virginia, West Virginia and Wisconsin. These agreements provide for taxpayers to be taxed by their state of residence, and not the state where income is earned.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@JohnB5677 That means if i keep my residence in Ohio and work from my parents' house for 2 weeks, I will still be paying only the ohio taxes for the complete year. Is that correct ?

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

You are correct - working remotely out of state for a few weeks will not change your state tax situation.

As long as you remain a legal resident of OH, you would only have to file an OH return and pay OH tax on those earnings.

If you worked from KY for a longer period of time (several months?), your earnings might exceed KY's income threshold for filing a KY return.

From KY DOR website Do I Need to File a Return

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies