Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Received Form 3531 - Box 1 - need original signature

I paper filed form 1040 (since I needed to file forms not available online) but simply typed my name in the Sign Here box. IRS sent me Form 3531 requesting original signature. I am currently not in the US so mailing an original signature to IRS is costly. 

Question 1: Is it ok if I sign (manually) Form 1040 here and then scan and email it to my mail processing agency and they can send it via post?

Question 2: Do I put today's date in the Date section?

Question 3: My State return has the Federal return attached to it. Do I need to also file an amended state return with this "wet signature" Federal return attached?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@paragffm wrote:

Question 1: Is it ok if I sign (manually) Form 1040 here and then scan and email it to my mail processing agency and they can send it via post?

No, that would not be an original signature. You have to mail the form with the ink signature directly to the IRS. Note that Form 3531 says "A photocopied signature is not a valid signature." That would apply to a scanned signature as well.

@paragffm wrote:

Yes.

@paragffm wrote:

Question 3: My State return has the Federal return attached to it. Do I need to also file an amended state return with this "wet signature" Federal return attached?

No. Wait to see if you hear from the state. They don't expect an original ink signature, so you probably won't hear from them and won't have to do anything about the state.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@paragffm wrote:

No, that would not be an original signature. You have to mail the form with the ink signature directly to the IRS. Note that Form 3531 says "A photocopied signature is not a valid signature." That would apply to a scanned signature as well.

@paragffm wrote:

Yes.

@paragffm wrote:

No. Wait to see if you hear from the state. They don't expect an original ink signature, so you probably won't hear from them and won't have to do anything about the state.

Thank you for your very clear reply!

What address should I send the Form 3531 (along with Form 1040 with the wet signature) to?
Form 3531 says " To Reply, use the return address on the mailing envelope or refer to IRS.gov and search "where to file". The envelope was mailed from "Internal Revenue Services, Submission Processing Center, Austin TX 73301". My original 1040 was supposed to (and did) go to "Department of Treasury, Internal Revenue Services, Ogden, UT, [removed]".
I assume I have to mail it to the Austin, TX address above, correct?

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Yes, mail it to Austin.

It's not clear why you mailed the original tax return to Ogden. If you live outside the U.S., you file by mail, and you are not sending a payment with the return, you are supposed to send it to Austin.

International - Where to File Form 1040 Addresses for Taxpayers and Tax Professionals

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies