turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What do I do if I entered the wrong address on my tax return

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@Jennajs6160   

The address on your return is mainly for the IRS & State to use to send you any notices or letters.  Your return should not get rejected for the wrong state, if it does, just correct the state initials & then re-e-file.  Your address does not affect your direct deposit information, if your bank information is correct then you will receive your direct deposit.

You can also fill out a change of address form (form 8822) if you want, to change your address with the IRS, if your return gets accepted.  See the following for IRS change of address.

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc157

If you need to change a address for a State return, you can go to your State's website for their change of address.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

You can put in a change of address.  The address on your return is where the IRS (& State) would send you notices, or if you choose to receive your refund by check that would be the address your check would go to.  If you choose direct deposit the wrong address would not affect your refund.

How do I change my address with the IRS?

-----------------------------
To change your address for your state, you can check your states website for their change of address form
JLF1

RETURN WAS REJECTED DUE TO ADDRESS ERROR

ORIGINAL RETURN SHOWED 5348 CRESTALOMA LANE

SHOULD BE 15348 CRESTALOMA LANE

PROGRAM INSISTS RETURN HAS BEEN SENT AND WILL NOT RESEND

Carl
Level 15

See the link in the prior response for submitting a change of address to the IRS.

If you also e-filed a state return, then you will need to take separate action to change your address with your state taxing authority. Updating your mailing address with the IRS *DOES* *NOT* update your address with your state.

So if I have direct deposit the address typo doesn’t matter? I put ne instead of nw by accident 

@Jennajs6160   

The address on your return is mainly for the IRS & State to use to send you any notices or letters.  Your return should not get rejected for the wrong state, if it does, just correct the state initials & then re-e-file.  Your address does not affect your direct deposit information, if your bank information is correct then you will receive your direct deposit.

You can also fill out a change of address form (form 8822) if you want, to change your address with the IRS, if your return gets accepted.  See the following for IRS change of address.

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc157

If you need to change a address for a State return, you can go to your State's website for their change of address.

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

If you need to change your address, please see here for more information on doing that before you file and after you file.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It’s literally just north east instead of northwest 

for example 123 ne street name instead of 123 nw street name lol what a stupid mistake on my part. Hopefully all works out

Thank you @bluedeb 

@KatrinaLO   the information to change an address with the IRS was already included in my answer above, repeating the same information on a post that was already answered is not what is needed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies