turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TimBach2

A Dependent SSN ... must not be ... on another return where 'PrimaryClaimAsDependentInd' or 'SpouseClaimAsDependentInd' is not checked"?

Full error message from IRS:  IND-517-01 - A Dependent SSN in the return must not be the same as the Primary or Spouse SSN on another return where 'PrimaryClaimAsDependentInd' or 'SpouseClaimAsDependentInd' is not checked.

My son got married on Dec 29.  My daughter-in law used TT to file, and it filed as "married filing separately".  On her return, the checkbox "Someone can claim your spouse as a dependent" is NOT checked. (It never asked)  My son has not yet filed.  

Is this checkbox the cause of my return being rejected?  How do we fix this?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
AlanT
Expert Alumni

A Dependent SSN ... must not be ... on another return where 'PrimaryClaimAsDependentInd' or 'SpouseClaimAsDependentInd' is not checked"?

Yes, this is the reason why your return is being rejected.  

In order to fix the problem, two things must occur.

1. Your daughter-in-law must file an amended income tax return (see the FAQ below for instructions) to check the box that someone can claim her spouse as a dependent.

2.  You must, unfortunately, file your income tax return by mail to include your son as a dependent.  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have a similar question.  My son did not originally check the "Someone can claim your spouse as a dependent" so my return was originally rejected.  He amended his return with that box checked.  His amended return has been accepted, so I resubmitted my tax return electronically but it was just rejected again.  How do I get around this - do I need to mail my return instead of filing electronically?

HelenC12
Expert Alumni

You can't get around this. You'll need to mail in a paper return. The IRS won’t allow a second return claiming the same SSN to be e-filed. 

So I can get around this by mailing my paper return, correct?

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, you will need to print/mail in your return.  

ssmom
Returning Member

I have the same situation. Do I need to wait for my son-in-law's amended return to be processed before mailing my return to claim my daughter as a dependent?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies