Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vch33

Wrong wash sale loss reported?

Hi everyone! I am trying to read my 1099 from Robinhood and understand wash sale rules. Got quite confused by the wash sale loss disallowed calculation -- here's an example: 

I traded options of ENPH in July/Aug 2022, and I fully understand that there's a wash sale loss of $1614.06.

Question 1: if I didn't trade any ENPH option/stock for the rest of the year, shouldn't the wash sale loss be treated as realized loss too? However, I am seeing the $1614.06 loss being added to the total wash sale loss disallowed.

Screen Shot 2023-12-19 at 5.09.08 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-12-19 at 5.09.22 PM.png

Question 2: For a stock A, are its options with different expiration dates & strike prices supposed to be calculated together? In my 1099 I am seeing them aggregated separately as well as the wash sale loss calculation. What should I do to properly prepare my tax return for this? 

Thank you so much for any insights or help!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

What was the actual cost of the Put No. 1 of 7 bought 7/15/22 that expired?

Was it $313 ?
If so, No.1 of 7 has your disallowed basis adjustment that you are looking for, as it should..

@vch33 

vch33

Hey @fanfare ! It was $850 based on my order history. I am not sure why it's $1927.04 in the form but it seems like: $1927.04 (current cost basis) = $850 (cost of the PUT) + $1077.04 (wash sale loss from the one bought on 07/14) 

OK that leaves #537.02 to be accounted for .

look for another basis that is not the actual amount paid.

The way the transactions are reported is extremely confusing  !

@vch33 

vch33

I figured! Costs & credits from my order history add up, the cost basis of the one bought on 07/14 was adjusted, the cost was $900, (900+537.02)=1,437.02, 537.02 was from wash sale loss!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies