Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is turbo tax charging me over $200 when it’s supposed to be free?!?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

@ ec1536542648 asked:  "Why is turbo tax charging me over $200 when it’s supposed to be free?!?"

TurboTax has only 1 free product--the Free Edition--which is for very simple returns, essentially a Form 1040 without any extra forms or schedules.   If there is a form or schedule that Free Edition does not handle, then Deluxe or higher is required, depending on the particular form.

Did you start off in Free Edition and had to upgrade to Deluxe because of some item in your return?  If you are sure you don't need Deluxe or higher, you can downgrade to Free Edition if you only need a Form 1040 and no other forms/schedules.  We can tell you how to do so.

But there's also another factor adding to your expense.   You currently appear to be using Live Deluxe.   That Live product is more expensive than regular Deluxe.  With that Live product you are paying extra to have access to a tax expert CPA/EA on-demand during return preparation, and a review of your return prior to filing.

FAQ:  What is TurboTax Live?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/what-is-turbotax-live/01/27191

Live Deluxe is $119 for Federal return and $54 for a state return.

Regular Deluxe (without Live) is $59 for a Federal return and $49 for a state return.

NOTE:  If you choose to pay the fees out of the Federal refund, there is an additional 39.99 service fee (44.99 for California filers).   That extra service fee can be avoided by paying upfront with credit/debit card.

If you need Deluxe but don't want Live Deluxe, here's how to remove the Live portion:

FAQ:  How do I remove TurboTax Live?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/downgrading/help/how-do-i-remove-turbotax-live/01/27312

Also, since you mentioned a free return, see my next comment to follow below about the free products available through the IRS Free File site.   TurboTax no longer participates in that IRS Free File program, but there are other providers that do.

@ ec1536542648 

Another option for a free return is to use one of the providers at the IRS Free File site.   If you meet the criteria (such as AGI $73,000 or less) , those providers' products will prepare a free Federal return even if it requires additional forms/schedules.   And some of the providers on the IRS site even have free state returns (although some only prepare certain states in their offering, so you'd have to investigate carefully first.)

https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies