Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

todo-bici

Why does Turbo Tax Deluxe reject my x- spouse's SSN that begins with a "0" Zero when entering Alimony information?

I enter the correct number but when I tab off the zero is deleted causing the program to error due to an incomplete SSN.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

19 Replies
NashayLO
Intuit Alumni

Why does Turbo Tax Deluxe reject my x- spouse's SSN that begins with a "0" Zero when entering Alimony information?

We are happy to inform you a recent TurboTax update has been released resolving this issue. Please see this TurboTax FAQ for more information, Why am I not able to enter my social security numb...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
todo-bici

I updated Turbo Tax this morning, 30 Jan 2021, and attempted to enter the correct SSN once again, but the problem has not been fixed.  To be clear the problem exists in: Fed Taxes/Deductions & Credits/How much alimony did you pay in 2020/Recipient's SSN Field.  Do I need to completely begin a new filing to make it work?

Best Regards

John 

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

I opened TurboTax Online Deluxe version and entered an alimony payment.  The Social Security number of the alimony recipient begins with '0'.  I am able to enter the alimony and receive a You're good to go! message after Review.

I did open the Deluxe version in a new Google Chrome browser and did not clear cookies or cache.

See this TurboTax Help.

Try TurboTax deluxe Windows version. I'm getting very frustrated that I keep hearing it's fixed, but it's not. Updating TurboTax does nothing. Says software is up to date, but it doesn't work.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Have you tried clearing cache and cookies?

Or opening TurboTax with a different browser?

See this TurboTax Help.

Yes to cache and cookies. Still no luck. I'm not sure what a different browser would do since I have the desktop version. Are you saying that TurboTax deluxe desktop has been tested and the leading zero on social security number works?

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

@WEHICOCK Please reach out to TurboTax Customer Support as your issue would be best resolved with one-on-one support. Please visit the Contact Us page and select your product to get you to the right person.

I did and guess what? The subcontractor who handles your support couldn't get anyone to address my issue for 1/2 hour. I am back to square one again!!

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

Try clicking the Help button on the top menu bar.

1. Then select TurboTax Help Center.
  2. A popup window will pop up and allow you to type in a search or ask for help.
  3. Once you type in your information here, you will also be prompted to have someone call you if needed on the next screen. You will need to enter your information in this section.
todo-bici

Yesterday, 1 Feb 2021 I spoke with a Customer Support person.  She was very pleasant, understanding, and patient, she could not correct the problem so she spoke to her supervisor, who was also unable to correct the problem.  This is a PROBLEM WITH THE PROGRAM DATABASE/FORM FILL CRITERIA.  Fix your program!  I have used turbo Tax for many years, this may be the last...

I am able to enter social security numbers beginning with zero into TurboTax Deluxe.  You may need to do this in the Chrome browser on a computer.  Please let us know which device and browser you are experiencing this problem on.

Turbo Deluxe desktop Windows. I was using Edge, but also tried under Chrome. Still no luck. I'm not sure what t he browser does since it's desktop. Thank you for someone finally digging a little deeper for me.

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

@WEHICOCK This issue should be resolved.  Can you try updating your software again?

ReferenceManually Update TurboTax for Windows Software (Basic, Deluxe, Premier, Home & Business)

Problem resolved. Thank you

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies